The Library provides a number of services designed to support the learning and research needs of members of the University, staff and students. Below is a list of some of the most popular services.
We strongly recommend that all new teaching staff get in touch with the Subject Librarian responsible for their area for a personal introduction to the Library and its resources and services. You can make an appointment using the online Book an Appointment facility in the Quick Links box.
- Enquiry Service: Contact them for any questions. If they don't have the answer, they will help find somebody who does.
- Subject Librarians: At least one librarian is assigned to each of the academic Colleges and subjects within UDOL. They are responsible for obtaining the resources needed to support programmes and research. They provide help in using resources by creating guides, teaching research skills, and introducing students & staff to resources. They can assist with the planning of new programmes and they are members of relevant College committees. Support for researchers and information on Open Access is also provided.
- Library Plus: Our main one-stop search engine for the majority of our print and electronic resources. One search covers the Library catalogue and many subject & generic databases providing details, and in many cases the full text, of thousands of journal articles.
- Information Literacy: Our librarians are experienced in the art of searching, along with related information & digital literacy skills, and are happy to deliver in-class or drop-in sessions and workshops for you and your students.
- Reading Lists Online: Subject Librarians and the Reading Lists team can help you create and maintain online interactive reading lists for your modules linking directly to the library catalogue, ebooks and other electronic material.
- Copyright Clearance Unit: This service can digitise journal articles or book chapters on request for course-required readings and materials. Materials are linked through to online reading lists.
- Copyright: We have a Copyright Advisor, who can provide guidance on copyright law relating to research, teaching and publication.
- Loans: This section lets you know what you can borrow and for how long, and provide information about overdue fines and reservations
- InFocus: This service is available for distance and online learners, providing them with digital or print resources, as appropriate.
- PLATO: An online module containing plagiarism and referencing guidance.
- UDORA: Derby's institutional repository, hosting staff research and PhD theses.