Skip to Main Content

Copyright Licencing Agency - Collection of Royalties Data

Derby is one of a number of institutions which has been chosen to participate in the 2022-23 collection of data, between the 19 September 2022 to 28 October 2022

Submit your data

There are two ways to capture your scanning and copying activity – either by completing an online form, or by digitally submitting additional versions of your scans or copies using the Multi-Function Device (MFD – photocopier/printer).

Please choose whichever of these options is most convenient to you each time you make copies. For more information on either option, please see below.

What's happening?

The University holds a Higher Education licence with the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) which enables staff and students within our institution to legally copy and share extracts from published copyright content, without having to seek permission or worry about infringing copyright. The Library administers this license on behalf of the institution.

Periodically, the CLA require institutions to provide information about the type of published content they are re-using, for example, copy re-use of printed publications such as books, journals, periodicals, etc, as well as digital originals which are printed out and then on-copied. Data collected is used to help distribute royalty payments to the authors, publishers and visual artists whose work is being used.

Please note there is no personal data being requested during this exercise and that none should be added by the user in the free text fields. For further information regarding how CLA and Snap Surveys handle your data please follow the links below.

Relevant data may come from:

  • Books, magazines, journals, periodicals, etc. including extracts or line quotes.
  • Copies of copies.
  • Educational materials which contain multiple extracts such as learned/research journals/monographs and chapters from reference books, alongside lecturer prepared material. These resources are sometimes known as study packs, readers, course packs, course handouts, course readings etc. though names may vary. Packs should pertain to courses which form part of the 2022-23 academic year, are course/module specific (as opposed to a particular term) and may be produced/distributed at any time. This means that packs created during a previous year but which continue to be distributed to students, should be included.
  • Copyright content transcribed and used in a printed resource such as a presentation or supporting handout.
  • Crown Copyright, unless published under OGL. (Some Government publications which receive private sector funding cannot be published under OGL.)
  • Open resources and material from hybrid publications, where a mix of copyright and open access content is included (particularly in journals or other collections of work).
  • Resources provided to non-credit bearing students covered by the HE licence; for example, if undertaking professional or short courses.
  • Resources used or provided by Professional Services, such as HR training handouts or press clippings used for marketing communications.
  •  On-copying from born digital material made under the CLA licence is subject to the same terms as a photocopy so should be included. (Resources containing published content which are scanned to the VLE are excluded unless they have been omitted from the CLA digital reporting process.)

Online form

Relevant copying activity should be captured using the online form which can be used on a PC or smart phone. There are no usernames or passwords. All staff will use the same page to record data, which is submitted anonymously. A QR code and short URL will be available by each MFD.


Using the MFD

Once you have made your photocopies or sent scanned copies to yourself, please use the scan function on the MFD to send us a digital copy of the material you have just duplicated. You can do this by selecting the Scan option, then selecting ‘Scan to CLA’ which will send a further copy of your material to the CLA for collation.


This is a staff only exercise – students are not included, with the exception of post-graduates who are involved with teaching, group research projects, etc.

  • For academic departments we anticipate that data will come from academics themselves or anyone copying on their behalf. Other learning or research areas are also included.
  • Non-academic departments making copies of relevant publications are included.

Any questions?

Please contact Matt Cox with any queries.